Tuesday 12 January 2010

District 9, Being Human and Russia!

So as I sit tapping my fingers in waiting for my next Swapgame (please be Assassin's Creed 2, please be Assassin's Creed 2, etc) it's about time that I started catching up on those films from last year. District 9 initially sauntered into my field of vision when there were whispers of the director of it being given the reins on the mythical Halo movie. I imagine his Halo short would have gone some way to helping that story. Anyway, the film itself starts off as a kind of documentary/race allegory and slowly morphs into a full blown action movie before switching back to former. It works well for it and certainly is a breath of fresh air into the usual over-blown guff you get with the genre (Avatar). The accents can be a little difficult at times but that aside it's hard not to recommend it. Not a great movie but certainly a good one. Also I think the lead looks a bit like Murray from Flight Of The Conchords. Guess the jury is out on that one though.

This being the new year it also means new TV time. With BBC One getting Survivors, a show I've never watched but I imagine I might enjoy and BBC Three getting Being Human. I quite liked the first season of it, and it had the blind luck to wander in before vampires were all the rage. Zombies were the big thing back then. Which reminds me, I need to get hold of a copy of the third book in The Walking Dead series. Anyway, everyone's back for this new series including a new menacing guy who reminds me a bit of Christopher Lee but it isn't. Pretty sure it's someone quite well known though. Wikipedia will embarrass me in due course. It does feel like an intrinsically British equivalent to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with big plot elements always revolving round very British things. Like pubs and tea-making. Which is lovely and adds a bit of warmth to the show. I'm going to hastily say that I'll stick with it again.

Finally I owe some praise to Russia today. Not just for their stereotypical choice of hats. Oh no. So much more. I've stumbled across the murky waters of Russian MP3 sites. Not sure where it leaves me legally but my $25 has bought me all the albums I've been holding out for quite a while. Flying Lotus, The XX, Karen O and the Kids, Madvillian, Portishead, Horrors, The Prodigy, Japandroids, Animal Collective, The Antlers, Florence + The Machine, Deadmau5 and Fuck Buttons. Still got $10 left too. I need to widen my tastes it seems. Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment