Saturday 21 November 2009

Wristcutters: A Love Story & 1 vs 100

You can tell with a title like Wristcutters: A Love Story you're going to be in for some indie melodrama and the film, in many ways, lives up to these preconceptions. The plot is thus; boy goes through break up, kills himself, enters limbo, finds out ex is also there, road trip. In many ways the film is quite close to the narrative track you'd expect once you disregard the setting. In writing the film seems like an appealing prospect but watching it is a very different experience. In all honesty, its just quite boring. There's a few nice scenes and having Gogol Bordello and Tom Waits featured is always a winner. But there's not enough to make it stand out from the rest of the indie crowd. Its a 5/10 if I ever saw one. I will say this though; the ending is lovely.

Tonight (well yesterday I think) saw the triumphant return of 1 vs 100 to Xbox Live. I'm assuming you saw the ticker tape and news specials dedicated to its explosive appearance back in our lives? No? Neither did I really. Logged on today to get some Last FM fuelled Football Manager happening and noticed the little logo winking at me from the Spotlight section. I thought "Why the hell not?". Well I soon found out why not. Firstly I had to download the game. Which is fine. But it came in three sections. Why? Surely its just one game? But once that wait was over (I cooked some food while waiting, oh the joys of having an evening to yourself) I was finally chucked in to the middle of the prize game. I got 7 straight correct answers over two rounds, the questions seemed easier this time than season one. Then the game crashed. Oh. Cheers for that. So booted it back up again, got in and then bang another crash. Then got into extended play and a few questions in ANOTHER FUCKING CRASH. I thought we'd already had the beta for this? Are we in the gamma now? Come on Microsoft, just pull it and sort it. I'd rather that than maybe fluke my way into a prize winning position and then have you crash the game.

On a final note Football Manager has driven me mildly insane. Two 94th minute losses on the bounce to Preston and Swansea respectively. I almost ate my own face. Luckily Last FM has been streaming me the pleasing post-rock plumage of Sigur Ros radio. At least Microsoft included one good, working new feature recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment