Wednesday 4 November 2009

FlashForward, Batman Arkham Asylum, The Beatles & Biffy Clyro

I've been following FlashForward rather eagerly since it started, like a magpie chasing the Silver Surfer. The premise is so simple yet can offer so many possibilities. I've watched up until episode 5. I could have watched episode 6 too but I thought I should save it. Or more truthfully I was itching to clamber into the Bat-cape. Things have moved on quite nicely, with whether the flashforwards themselves are visions of the future or imagined nonsense still hanging in the balance. There was one cheapening factor in which to keep people interested it brought in hot lesbians. Now as a male I obviously love the idea of hot lesbians. We all do. I imagine lesbians themselves do as well. But it felt like it may have been a bit overplayed. Especially since the whole African tangent is hotting up. I'll watch episode 6 tonight or tomorrow to see what's happening.

So I dived in a bit further to Batman today. Its giving me that same vibe I got from Bioshock which is very exciting. So far everything works well, the combat, the detective mode and the fantastic voice acting. If I was to criticise one thing it would be that when Batman decides there needs to be a "crime scene" (he's like a goth Sherlock) there is always something conspicuously lying around. Not like a hair or a bit of clothing, more like his hip-flask or a pipe. Admittedly the pipe was left deliberately as said in the story. This is how much I'm struggling to get annoyed with it. I'm going to savour this one, I've got that GOTY feeling for it. We shall see.

I don't want to review The Beatles really. What's the point? They're awesome. Fact. If you say they're not its just to be edgy. Everyone likes at least one of their songs if not most of them. Which leads me to mention that today they are suing BlueBeat for selling their MP3's. Which firstly is fair doos really. But begs the question why not sell the MP3's? You can talk shit about people not appreciating the albums anymore when they can hear individual songs but does that even matter? Cd's have allowed skipping since they began so that's hardly a new issue. It just seems like a massive disservice to the greatest band of all time to not let everyone have the chance to hear them. Even if you just sell them through one website it'll do. We're almost a tenth of the way through the 00's, its about time they caught up.

Ah Biffy Clyro. One of my favourite bands. You even released "Mountains" and therefore put the gauntlet down for the next Meatloaf and I still stood by. But now you have released Only Revolutions, an album that has a lot riding on it. Puzzle didn't necessarily divide the hardcore Team Biffy like myself but it made us question. The set-lists in the following gigs certainly did though, I walked out of the Reading 2008 gig after hearing Puzzle live for what felt like the millionth time. This new album though has again left me unsure though, on my first listen it just feels alright. Acoustic tracks like "God & Satan" are a welcome addition to the Biffy arsenal. But the twisted, frantic rock of yore is lost and replaced with polished, pop rock everywhere else. It'll obviously take time to get into and I'm sure in time it'll be deep in my affections but Biffy do like to leave me hanging these days. I know they've got a great album left in them. But who knows when or if they'll deliver it.

No comments:

Post a Comment