Tuesday 3 November 2009

Various Titbits #3

Been away for a little while, everyone needs a holiday every now and again. Of course a holiday for me usually entails doing things I usually do in a different place with different people. This was not to dissimilar. Aside from the copious amounts of drinking I managed to catch a few films at the the multiplexes. By a few I mean two. Although for me that's usually 6 months of cinema trips. The first film I traveled to witness was Fantastic Mr Fox. Although before that I saw the trailer for the new Alvin & The Chipmunks picture. I mention this because it was simply the worst thing I have ever had the unfortunate blessing to witness. I only hope no one else has to suffer my pain. Actually you should watch it. It'll make anything seem good in comparison. I mean anything as well. Anyway, the main feature is what could be described as standard Wes Anderson affair. That is of course understating the wonder of that label. The film is gloriously uplifting in a subtle, deadpan and touching way which you rarely see outside of the Anderson canon. I pretty much cackled my way through it, not many of the kids in the cinema did though. Overall, Anderson is an acquired taste but once you like it you're rarely disappointed.

The second film I went to see was post-apocalyptic hessian adventure 9 (or nine if you're a stickler). For fans of Burton (who produced this along with Nightwatch director Timur Bekmambetov) you'll probably enjoy the surreal monsters and heroes in a nicely animated world. Personally I couldn't shake an over-hanging deja vu. I'm not sure if its entirely intentional but a lot of the things felt very recycled if you've played any video games this generation. LittleBigPlanet for the heroes, Half Life 2 for the robot, even an overlying feeling of Fallout 3 in the setting. These played on my mind a lot while I was watching the film and more than anything couldn't help but think that it was just one long cut-scene and eventually it was going to chuck me, controller in hand, into play. The plot even felt more like that of a video game than one from a film. All this aside though, the people I went with enjoyed it on its own merit so I may just be being picky.

Finally in game related news I returned home to find Batman Arkham Asylum (finally!), Eternal Sonata and two copies of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts on my door mat (well on my bed, I don't live alone). Fired up Batman for a quick 10 minutes and had a little play, not got any further than the expeditions of the demo yet though so no new opinion upon it. No doubt it'll be the one I plough the most time into though over the next few days. Going to get properly stuck into it tomorrow. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment