Friday 20 November 2009

Martyrs

I'm a pretty open minded person, I'll watch most things on TV really. You can't say you hate it if you haven't seen it. Of course you can say it constantly during and after but not before. I'm also a big advocate of foreign cinema, little bit of reading never hurt anyone. Unless its a blind guy reading braille on a touch sensitive bomb. But the chances of that happening are unlikely outside a new season of 24. All of these reasons is why I decided to watch Martyrs which is a French horror/mystery according to Wikipedia. Now firstly, most horrors are mystery films but don't claim to be. "Who's murdering", "Why are they murdering", "Was it with the crowbar in the kitchen?". All of these I would class as mysteries really. Of course it depends on the film but lets not get bogged down in the details. I'm not adverse to gore really, I found myself tittering my way through Saw VI. But this film was a bit too much. It was just foul, I felt like giving up defending any film with graphic content and just supporting anything that Chris Tookey at the Daily Mail reviews well. It was just plain horrible. But maybe the story would save it. Would it fuck. I won't spoil it for you, but the films spoils it itself. Just by it being plainly shit. It makes sense, but I just thought "Naaa". Overall, I feel a bit emptier inside and very let down.

To cheer me up though I slotted into episode two of Misfits the new superhero show on E4. Its pretty good still, the writing is actually quite witty. Its just the coiffured fool delivering the lines the irks me. I hope they go a bit Skins with it and focus on different characters every week though. Not sure I can take an entire series of his Irish "charm".

No comments:

Post a Comment