Friday 18 September 2009

Spiral

So I thought I'd start with something easy. Spiral is a hard-hitting, subtitled, French crime drama. So if you're not a fan of gore or reading this probably isn't for you. My mind had partly already been made up on it I guess, having heard such good things about it through the grapevine, but it still wasn't quite what I expected. Opening with a rather grisly naked corpse was one thing. But the soon to follow autopsy scene was quite another. The characters seem likable though, after the first episode you already get the feeling you're going to be getting a mix of gritty inner demons in each of them, which for me is quite an enticing prospect. A few things in it I did take issue to though, firstly the links between scenes were some appalling zoom in through the building thing. With an added "WOOOOSHHH" sound effect. It felt more Segal than Silent Witness. Another thing, it's really French. Which may not be a bad thing. French women are hot. Plus one right there. However the majority of French men are not. They are 90% nose. I get the feeling they can probably smell me sitting here at home. Which is worrying because I haven't showered today. Also Alistair Darling's twin appears to be the judge. Although that's a non point really. To summarise, it's good. You can feel the claws sliding into you, there's a cliffhanger, several story lines kicking off at once and even a chance of main character romance. We'll see how the other 7 episodes of the first season fair but on this basis I'm a fan.

I didn't really have the foresight to think of a rating system. Hmmm. I'll think of a scale of awesome or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment