Monday 28 September 2009

The Hangover & Bruno

I think we owe a lot to Knocked Up really. Was there such a thing as bro-mantic comedies before that? Probably. All I remember before though was the time of American Pie and similar nonsense. Although in my youth these were the height of comedy (I still have a VHS of the original knocking about at my parent's place), today they're a pretty tiresome affair. The Hangover is basically about retracing the steps of the most epic night's drinking of all time. Like Dude Where's My Car? only funny. I felt it was a bit hit and miss at times. Mike Tyson and Chinese midget impersonating Kim Jong Il in Team America were poor additions. However, the dialogue and general nonsense of the plot made up for this. It's in no way a great film, but it certainly is worth a watch even if it's just for the rewarding pay-off in the credits.

I really enjoyed Borat when it came out. I saw it at the cinema and was physically reduced to tears by the hotel scene. You know the one I mean. If you don't you should watch the film because you'll either be disgusted or in a fit of unstoppable giggles. Bruno however, doesn't exactly have a scene like that. But is consistently funny. The film doesn't have much of a plot to speak of, more devices used to connect the many set-pieces together. If you have the stomach for the often graphic humour then you'll enjoy it. But the film should come with a warning, it's not the easiest thing to watch at times but the laughs make it worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment