Sunday 7 February 2010

Sonic, Chime & The Men Who Stare At Goats

This week saw the confirmation that Sonic is going back to his 2D roots this summer. Which is obviously good news, having played through the abysmal "Sonic The Hedgehog" reboot it's clear that Sega needed to revamp this big time (still not played unleashed, scouring the bargain bins). So what better way to get excited than to sit down with Sonic 2 on a very hungover Sunday afternoon. Before today I'd honestly never completed Sonic 2 either and I was surprised why I hadn't. I didn't even run into any problems until the Wing Fortress Zone which had one horrible segment jumping across guns. I certainly feel very accomplished beating it for the first time though and a nice little 35G for doing it was hardly a kick in the teeth either.

This week also saw the release of ambient puzzler Chime. The first thing that should be said is that a fair whack of the profits go to charity which is nice. Then it also only costs 400MSP so it's cheap too. I've not played it too much but it's quite laid back, not quite in the addictive puzzle realms of the classic Tetris or almost psychologically abusing drug that is Peggle. Hard not to recommend it though purely even for the first two points. The music is good too, the only downside for me is that I'm really bad at it.

Finally, in between my bouts with Robotnik today I watched The Men Who Stare At Goats. The film takes a while to find it's feet for me but once it does it's great fun. Fantastic cast as well with Clooney, Spacey and Bridges all brilliant. Especially Clooney, who sports a fantastic 'tache as well. Well worth picking up and giving a go, only wish I had the foresight to catch it at the theatres when it first came out. Oh well, that's pretty much my new year's resolution I think. Go to the cinema more.

No comments:

Post a Comment