Sunday 6 December 2009

Paper Hearts

I awoke this morning (read this afternoon) feeling a bit festive. Which is rare for me and especially unusual considering I've not been looking forward to it at all this year. But, this morn (aft) it seemed quite appealing. Spending just a few days with the family, a lot of working, but also lot of time just milling about. Which is my favourite part of Christmas. Blankets, left-over turkey and bad films. I even made a Spotify playlist for myself. Didn't realise how much I enjoy Band Aid 20's "Do They Know Its Christmas?" until today. Probably something wrong with me then.

All of that though is irrelevant to the film Paper Hearts. Christmas is barely featured, it doesn't feel very festive really. Its a mockumentary film about Charlene looking for love. Charlene is apparently a comedian, although she shows little evidence of this through the movie. In fact the film tends tread that whole predictable indie staple of love, loneliness and quirkiness. Its a nice film, but nothing to write home about really. The interviews and animation are quite enjoyable but the general love story pushing the story forward felt awkward and somewhat boring. Still, I imagine hipster couples will settle down in front of a roaring fire for it. Or whatever the hipster equivalent of fire is. Hot water bottles or something. Fucking hipsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment