Monday 14 December 2009

Orphan & Crash Time III

I've had Orphan knocking around for a while but hadn't got round to watching it. The first time I sat down to watch it I got a rather downbeat phone call from my university tutor asking me for a tutorial. It put me on a bit too much of a downer to watch it. I sat and listened to OK Computer for an hour instead and contemplated the misery of existence. The tutorial was actually a good thing anyway so I don't why I felt so mopey. I now know what assignments I've got to look forward to in 2010. Fun, fun. Anyway Orphan is good. Its a good ol' fashion scare em up. With some rather brutal deaths. The hammer killing for one was rather horrible. Very reminiscent of the stabbing in GTA IV in terms of sound effects. The mother (Sarah Jessica Parker) descends in to madness very early on, which I guess is to be expected. The film may have been markedly improved if she did a Sex And The City style narration for her lacking sanity as well. Of course, I was upset to learn it wasn't SJP in the lead but someone called Vera. She was in The Departed though. So kudos is due. Anywho it all goes tits up at the end as the sweet cherub turns into an angry midget version of Jamie Winstone. Entertaining though, not the best horror movie of the year. But certainly a good one.

I try to download a lot of demos on Xbox Live. Just to get a good feel for whats coming out and to see if I find something that I might like. I don't write about it though really because its not a fair viewpoint on a game. You can only tell if you might like it or definitely won't like it from a demo. However Crash Time III transcends such boundaries. The game is like Burnout meets True Crime but it's set in a Sweden where everyone does New York accents. Driving feels like ice skating, the crash replays seem to happen at random and everything is valued at 17,000 Euros. It's terrible. But so bad it's good. I want everyone to play it. I want people to talk about it. The first mission sees you given a 45 second time limit to get to a bakery for breakfast. I shit you not. When the demo ends it claims "it furthers the exciting franchise" or something like that. I'll be honest I didn't realise there was others. But now I'll be researching for them high and low. Crash Time III for Game Of The Year. Possibly decade. Heard it here first.

No comments:

Post a Comment